Hey, so you have decided to try your hand at being a blogging influencer – but not sure where to start? Here are some simple tips to get you going.
1) First of all, choose a domain name that is somehow related to the business you are in or related to your personality. For example, if you are looking for a domain name for your essential oil business, you might want to try using a name like www.oilsbyjane.com or www.usingessentialoils.com. It is important to use a real domain name. Your visitors will not take your business seriously if you use a free domain name like www.tripod.com/essentialoils, or www.angelfire.com/essentialoils. A lot of the good domain names are already spoken for, but if you are patient enough, you will search and find one that is still available. If you think that you will need more than one domain name, get that one now too, as thousands of names are taken up each day. Do a search under Google using the names that you are thinking about. You will find some very reasonably priced domain registrars. The cheapest one that I have found so far is at SiteGround They are a full-service operation offering web hosting and domains. There is some other great info here.
2) You will need a hosting service for your domain name. The hosting service allows your domain name and all of its content to be viewed on the internet. This is easy to handle. You have basically two choices here. You can pay for the hosting service or get it for free. I highly recommend the paid version. Simply, no company is going to give you something for free, so either you or your readers are going to be seeing a LOT of advertising. Overall, I recommend Siteground (see above). Their hosting packages include everything you need with no weird add-ons.
3) Once you have your domain name and hosting service taken care of, you will probably need a way of uploading your web content to your site. I recommend WordPress. There are other builders out there, and while WordPress isn’t always the easiest – it is going to give you the most bang for your proverbial buck. There are hundreds of free themes that you can use to get you started.
4) Your using essentialoils site probably needs a little more customizing. Look at other sites on the internet for comparison and see what could be improved visually on your site. Does it need any flashy graphics? There are many free graphics available on the internet – just do a search with google. Once you are happy with the way your website looks. Make sure you are backing up your site as you go along because there are few things worse than customizing a website and if something bad happens to your computer or hard drive, losing the web content forever.
5) At this point, you probably already have uploaded your website and have it online. Now you need to drive visitors to your site. One popular way of bringing traffic to your site is to use a free link exchange or free link trading service. For the free link exchange service, you just sign up and put a little bit of code on your website (this allows other website banners to be viewed on your site and vice versa). The free link trading service is very simple also. You simply add another pillowís link to your links page and vice versa. This trading of links increases the popularity of your site greatly with the search engines. One of the most important things you can do to gain traffic is to get listed with the major search engines. Go to each search engine, or use a free service like www.AddMe.com and add your website there.
6) Please be advised that is illegal to Spam on the internet or via e-mail. Spamming is sending unwanted e-mails or putting internet advertising material, or internet material in general where it should not be. That being said, another method of marketing and promoting your site is to add your site to casino and gambling message boards and free for all links pages. Please check to see if it is ok to post your info there first, and in which category, and anywhere else before posting there. If you ìSpamî, you risk losing your internet service provider, and possibly your web host with all of your web content. Itís just not worth the trouble.
7) Another way of promoting your website is to create content that you get a lot of questions about so that you can share the links with people who keep asking you the same question. Win / Win – the person gets the answer, and you get traffic to your blog!
While this is a really simple starting point for your blog – if you would like more information, please join us in our FREE online community.