NT online casinos are very popular for the same reason Tasmania residents love them – there aren’t many brick-and-mortar gambling options in the state. Sure, there are two casinos in the area, but you can’t be sure that you will always find the games you want to play at these casinos.
Enter in online casinos in the Northern Territory! These sites let you play all the casino games you would like wherever you are in the state. So, as long as you have a reliable internet connection, you can gamble anywhere you like in the Top End.
Northern Territory Gambling Laws
Casinos and gambling services in the Northern Territory used to be regulated by the Northern Territory Licensing Commission, but this department was shut down in 2015. Since then, all gambling has come under the responsibility of the Director-General.
Most forms of gambling are allowed in the Northern Territory, including casino games, sports betting, lotteries, and more. Just not everything is available online!
Online Gambling Laws in NT
Online gambling in the Northern Territory is governed by the Interactive Gambling Act 2001. The law, which was amended in 2017, states that no Australian organisation can offer online gambling services to Australians.
However, it makes no mention of offshore casinos offering their services to Aussies. As such, you can play casino games online without hassle. As the law focuses on going after the businesses that provide these services, you do not have to worry about getting into trouble.
How to Pick an Online Casino in NT
If you are new to online casino gaming in the Northern Territory, you should use our checklist below to evaluate sites you are considering joining:
The Australian government doesn’t regulate offshore online casinos. So, you REALLY need to make sure the site is safe to join before you do so. Here are some of the areas you should focus on when doing this evaluation:
- Licensing – only play at casinos that a governing body has licensed. This ensures that the casino is held to a certain standard. It also gives you someone to complain to if the casino is not operating fairly.
- SSL Encryption – this form of encryption ensures the information you share with the casino is properly encoded. This means that hackers will not access the personal details and financial data you share with the casino.
- Independent Game Testing – check if the casino posts audit certificates for their games and how old the certification date is. If it has been months since the casino was last audited, you have no reason to trust the casino.
- Software Providers – who supplies the games? If it is a software provider that you have never heard of before, research them. If they are not established in the industry or aren’t in partnership with more established casinos, something might be fishy. Reliable software providers won’t partner with rogue casinos.
You are joining a casino because you want to play gambling games. Some players like variety, so joining a casino with lots of games is their main priority. But other players want to play a specific game.
Not all casinos offer the same games because not all casinos are powered by the same software developers. So, if you are a player who wants to play a specific gambling game, ensure that a casino does actually offer it before signing up and depositing.
Bonuses and Promotions
Bonuses and promotions are not hard to find in the online gambling world. So, before joining a new online casino, you want to guarantee that the offers you will be accepting are actually worthwhile.
You can do this by checking the terms and conditions attached to a bonus. Bad bonus terms include high wagering requirements and unclear rules that can easily be changed to fit the casino’s narrative.
We’ll be honest in saying that most casinos offer bonuses with terms and conditions that encourage huge playthrough requirements. However, some exceptionally bad options should be avoided at all costs.
Banking is heavily involved in online gaming. You need to deposit to play for real money, and you need to withdraw if you want to enjoy your winnings. So, you need to find a casino that offers deposit and withdrawal options that fit your needs.
While doing so, it is important to remember that most casinos don’t offer the same deposit and withdrawal options. This applies to not only varying casinos but also a single casino itself. So, for example, while you may be able to deposit using VISA, you probably won’t be able to withdraw with the method.
Northern Territory Facts
Here are some facts you should know about the Northern Territory before your visit:
- The closest beach from a town in the Northern Territory is 1,500km away. This should give you an understanding of how large the territory really is.
- The capital of the Northern Territory is Darwin.
- Despite the large landmass, the state’s population is only 246,500, making it less populous than Tasmania.
- The Northern Territory is home to Uluru (Ayers Rock). The rock is one of the oldest things on earth, supposedly forming 550 million years ago.
- The Northern Territory is home to Kakadu National Park – a World Heritage Site. At 19,804 km2, it is one of the largest national parks in the world.
Gambling in NT – FAQs
Are there pokie machines in the Northern Territory?
Yes, there are pokie machines in the Northern Territory. You can find them at the two brick-and-mortar casinos or in several pubs and clubs.
How many casinos are there in the Northern Territory?
There are two casinos in the Northern Territory. The Mindill Beach Casino Resort and the Lasseters Hotel Casino: Alice Springs. Both offer great casino gaming experiences.
Can you gamble online in the Northern Territory?
Yes, you can gamble online in the Northern Territory. You will need to use an offshore casino to do so, though. As such, we recommend you stick to the casinos on our list.
What are the best online casinos in the NT?
The best online casinos in the Northern Territory are:
- Jackpot Jill
- King Johnnie
- Wild Card City
- Neo Casino
Is online gambling popular in the NT?
Yes, online gambling is popular in the Northern Territory. Unfortunately, casinos are only located in two cities, so everyone else is forced to travel or play online.
What is the gambling age in the Northern Territory?
The legal gambling age in the Northern Territory is 18. You will find that this is the same age as the rest of the country. This is because this is governed by federal law.