Queensland online casinos are alive and thriving. You don’t need to be living in Brisbane to join in on the gambling fun. You can be living on a banana farm and still get access to all your favourite casino games online, including pokies, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and more.
If you would like to find out more about gambling in Queensland, stick around. We explain all you need to know about casinos, sports betting, and the lottery below. In addition, we pay special attention to the laws so you can understand what is legal and illegal for QLD residents.
Queensland Gambling Laws
Most forms of gambling in Queensland are legal. More than ten gambling establishments spread across the state, including casinos, horse racing tracks, and local TAB vendors. All forms of land-based gambling are governed by the Queensland Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (QOLGR).
More land-based casinos are currently in the process of being built in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. So generally, if you’re based in either of these two areas, all your gambling needs should pretty much already be met.
Online Gambling Laws in Queensland
The Interactive Gaming Act 2001 is a federal law that governs online gambling across the whole of Australia. The law says that it is illegal for any Australian company to offer online gambling services. However, it doesn’t say anything about offshore casinos.
Thus, with this legal loophole, it is possible to gamble online in Australia. Players spread across Queensland can sign up to offshore casinos and play wonderful games, such as pokies, blackjack, and roulette from some of the world’s biggest gaming providers.
As there are many online casinos out there that are up to no good, we recommend that you stick to our list of gambling sites. Each casino has been thoroughly vetted to ensure they are safe to use and provide a solid gaming experience.
Land-Based Casinos in Queensland
There are about 10 brick-and-mortar casinos and racecourses in Queensland that either already exist or are in development. Overall, there are about 10,000 slot games spread across the state and an ample selection of table games, including blackjack and tons of poker variations.
How to Pick an Online Casino in Queensland
Deciding on a casino to join can be difficult if you have never gambled online before. So, here are some tips on what to look at if you are picking a site for the first time:
- Security – check whether the casino uses SSL encryption. You can do this by checking whether a lock appears on your browser when you visit the site. This means the information you share with the casino is encrypted. You should also check to see whether the casino is licensed and regulated by independent gambling authorities.
- Banking methods – check to see whether the online casino offers banking methods you are comfortable with. Many major online casinos use POLi, Visa, MasterCard, Paysafecard, bank transfers, checks, Bitcoin, and more. You need to find the banking option you comfortable with.
- Game selection – Australian players like to play tons of different gambling games, including pokies, table games, and casual gambling games. Make sure the site you join has the games you want to play. Different sites are also powered by different providers, so test the games to see if you like them before you join.
- Bonuses – every casino offers bonuses; however, not all bonuses are worth it. Make sure the casino offers worthwhile bonuses that don’t just prevent you from withdrawing.
If you have never visited Queensland, here are a few facts you will be pleased to know:
- Queensland is home to the Great Barrier Reef; one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.
- One of the most popular gambling events in the state is the Magic Millions. It Is 10 days of horse races and fun.
- Queenslanders are affectionately known as Banana Benders. The reason is that the state produces tons of bananas.
Gambling in Queensland – FAQs
Are there land-based casinos in Queensland?
Yes, there are land-based casinos in Queensland. Arguably, the Treasury Brisbane and the Star Gold Coast are two of the best brick-and-mortar casinos in Australia.
How many casinos are in Queensland?
Currently, there are about four or so traditional casinos. In addition, some horse racing tracks offer other gambling options. If neither of these two options fit your needs, you can also visit one of the cruise casinos that leave from the Gold Coast.
Are online casinos legal in Queensland?
Well, it depends where the online casino operates from. If the casino is based in Australia, it is illegal to use. However, if the online casino is based offshore, it is not covered by Australian online gambling legislation, which means you can play at it.
Which are the best online casinos in Queensland?
Here are the top 5 online casinos in Queensland:
1. Jackpot Jill Casino
2. King Johnnie Casino
3. Wild Card City
4. Lucky Luke
Who regulates gambling in Queensland?
All forms of land-based gambling in Queensland are regulated by the Queensland Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (QOLGR). This excludes online gambling, which is regulated by the federal Interactive Gaming Act 2001.
What is the gambling age in Queensland?
The gambling age all across Australia, including Queensland, is 18. After you reach this milestone, you can play casino games, the lottery, bet on sports, and so much more.